NEW: Amazon Smile lets you donate to SEF almost every time you make a purchase from Amazon.
If you shop Amazon, use smile.amazon.com and 0.5% of your eligible purchase is donated back to your favorite registered charity. SEF (Solanco Education Foundation) encourages you to select SEF as your charity of choice, but you also can select from many others too.
Important! How to use Amazon Smile
To get the donation, you must go to smile.amazon.com, use your existing Amazon email and password info, or create a new account. Then be sure to select “Your current charity” and search for Solanco Education Foundation. Several other Solanco groups are listed you may wish to consider.
Extraordinary Give, Nov. 16, 2018 and other ways to support Solanco School students and teachers
Solanco alumni, parents, teachers, and staff, local community members, civic organizations, and businesses are all encouraged to consider making a tax deductible contribution to the Solanco Education Foundation.
Your support can be given in a variety of ways:
- By making tax-deductible contributions of cash, securities, or property
- By making a gift in honor of or in memory of a loved one
- By making a gift though your will or estate plan
- By businesses taking advantage of the Pennsylvania Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC)
- By participating in the Extraordinary Give on November 16, 2018. Learn more about Extra Ordinary Give here.
Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) Program: The Solanco Education Foundation participates in Pennsylvania’s Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program. Learn more about EITC here.
The programs that EITC donations have funded include Interactive Science Probe Ware and Mobile Computing at the high school, re-engineering technology, advanced placement digital classroom, gifted education digital media studio, improved kindergarten readiness skills and elementary school literacy, and vocabulary instructional materials for teachers and students at Quarryville Elementary.
SOLANCO EDUCATION FOUNDATION EITC PROGRAMS
COUNTDOWN TO KINDERGARTEN
The Solanco School District has developed and implemented a ‘Transition to Kindergarten’ plan with the goal of making the transition of preschool-aged students to kindergarten a smooth one. The transition plan reaches families who do not enroll their children in any type of early childhood educational program, such as a preschool or daycare provider. Approximately 38 percent of Solanco’s incoming kindergarten students have not been in an educationally-stimulating environment.
The Countdown to Kindergarten program, a component of the ‘Transition to Kindergarten’ plan, is designed to increase early literacy skills for all incoming kindergarten students, approximately 250 students. Each incoming kindergarten student receives a game board to use during the summer months. The parents are instructed to take their child to visit specific local businesses to receive a special literacy prize and have the child’s game board ‘stamped’. A list of parental suggestions, designed to build a child’s literacy and match skills, accompany the prizes.
The program strengthens early literacy and math skills of incoming kindergarten students and increases the involvement of parents in accelerating the development of their child’s literacy and math skills. Kindergarten students begin the school year with a better knowledge of alphabetic principles. The School District strives for a decline in the number of students entering kindergarten in need of intervention services as a result of inadequate early literacy and math skills. The Countdown to Kindergarten program contributes to the decreased need for intervention services.
INTERACTIVE SCIENCE PROBE WARE WITH MOBILE COMPUTING
Computer laptops, computer carts, probe ware software and ancillary technology supplies are purchased to support the Solanco High School science department (chemistry, biology, earth and science, physics) instructional programs. The laptops are used by the physics and chemistry disciplines to provide opportunities for students with classroom laboratory experiences as well as expand capabilities for science fair project options. The focus is to expand integration of the probe ware into the science curriculum.
The computers, technology framework, and probe ware have provided all of the 1,300 students in grades 9 through 12 with significantly greater access to computers and more hands-on learning opportunities with probe ware. Student use of the laptops and probe ware continues to increase, as does student interest and excitement in the educational opportunities the probe ware provides. This has resulted in greater student participation and accountability in the classroom. Teachers and students continue to use the laptops for simulations, internet investigations, probe ware experiments and other lesson planning. The laptops are scheduled for replacement as funding is available. A laptop cart provides a one-to-one computer-to-student ratio in a science classroom. Solanco has two laptop carts. As additional computers and probe ware are added, additional classes will have access to the equipment, increasing opportunities students have to work with these valuable learning tools.
FUTURE POTENTIAL PROGRAMS FOR EITC FUNDING
- High School Media – program that utilizes the new media equipment and encourages students to implement video cameras, sound equipment and ancillary supplies for video productions, newscasts, broadcasting and similar activities.
- Dual Enrollment – provides funding for dual enrollment courses.
- Special Education Apartment – program mimics real life apartment to develop life skills for special needs students. Students learn to make a bed, wash clothing, shop for groceries, operate household equipment and other skills necessary to live independently.
- Kindergarten Book Bags – purchase books and bags for kindergarten students.
- Odyssey of the Mind – students work together to solve a problem.
- Advanced Placement (AP) – AP courses assist high school students to develop skills needed to be successful in college. Students build time management skills, improve study habits, hone their writing skills and sharpen their problem-solving abilities.
- College Advisory Counselor